Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Criticism: Not Agreeable, But Necessary


“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.” Winston Churchill


Photo by Horia Varlen - via flickr

The long shadow loomed over her shoulder. She ran, gaining distance, diving under the first available cover she could find. If she stayed still, and oh so quiet, perhaps she would go unnoticed thus avoiding what would undoubtedly be a painful confrontation.

That is how I sometimes feel, though I seldom run for cover now and I try very hard to remain open to criticism of my writing. I am an amateur after all. One cannot learn without taking lessons and advice from others. Having said that, I always try to take what I read and hear with a rather large grain of salt and sometimes, when required, a healthy shot of tequila.

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. H.L. Mencke

Not all critics are unemotional about that which they are critiquing. Some are simply standing on a soapbox airing not only their opinions, but their prejudices and biases as well.

As a writer I am always looking for guidance and expertise, but it angers me when knowledgeable and notable authors offer their assistance with a total lack of empathy and a large dose of arrogance. Their time is spent slamming and demeaning the efforts of others. This, to me, is much like a politician expounding on everything his opponent is doing wrong, yet he offers nothing about how the situation could be improved or what his advice on a project might be.

Writers are caught between the proverbial rock and hard place; needing to show their work in order to receive advice and criticism, but often being made to feel foolish and incompetent for their efforts. This then begets the spiral into self-doubt as confidence and enthusiasm takes another hit. Even if not destined to become a bestselling author, writers deserve the chance to improve their knowledge and skills.

Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots. Frank Howard Clark

As warm and fuzzy as all that feedback received from friends and family is, we need to rely on the advice of professionals in order to advance our skills. Thanks to the age of Internet, everything we could ever need is at our fingertips. We have to avail ourselves of the advice and criticism and, yes, the prejudices forced upon us.

I have always preferred the hands on approach. I simply learn better from doing than from watching and studying. Don’t get me wrong, studying is still a necessary evil and, as I have learned, nothing bad can come from a worthy creative writing class. However, I learn best from show and tell. I’ll show you what I have done and you tell me where my weaknesses and strengths are, preferably in a constructive, un-condescending manner.

Eventually writers must show their work to somebody and open themselves up to criticism. Just be prepared to take the nourishment offered and pluck the noxious weeds. This will allow your root systems to spread and strengthen so that each day you can stand tall and proud as you grow.


Cheryl is the author of Little Synni’s Moonlight Mischief, the first book in The Stibil Forest Adventures, illustrations by sculptress - Chris Jammer.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that first quote. I've always called the art of criticism "putting your ego in your back pocket." Once you sit on it for a while, it gets easier to listen to people puncturing your pride!

Cheryl Schenk said...

It is a good quote and I love your ego in the pocket. I was terrified to show people my writing for the longest time as I was afraid they would cut it down. I realize now that it only makes me stronger and hopefully a better writer as time goes by.

Charity Gosling said...

I don't think I take criticism well either... I've just learned to smile and nod. It saves me the embarrassment of needing to apologize later when I decide the critique was totally right. :S That little ego prick is usually the best thing for me!

Cheryl Schenk said...

I know what you mean CJ, and I agree. Though sometimes a little blood seeps out of that ego prick.

All About Children's Books said...

Hi Cheryl. I hope you remember me, you did a book endorsement for my book Sir Princess Petra- The Pen Pieyu Adventures http://www.dianemaerobinson.tate author.com I just joined you site. I know exactly what you mean about setting up a blog site, I just did this,also. Most of my hair is standing straight up. I hope you'll join my site at: http://www.dianemaerobinson.com
P.S. I love your book. Diane Robinson

All About Children's Books said...

Hi Cheryl. I have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. For your badge and instructions/information, please view the post today on my blog
http://www.dianemaerobinson.com
All About Children's Books.
Congrats.
Diane Robinson

Cheryl Schenk said...

Diane you are too kind.

I have not been very versatile with this blog lately, but hope to pick-up the slack very soon.

I've spent the past year learning and hopefully improving my writing abilities. The children's book was a remarkable experience and work that I will always be extremely proud of.

My passion, however, is to write a novel. I made my first attempt last year and, again, learned much along the way. I also wrote several short stories, some of which I even read in public. I am now researching and beginning work on a second novel and, with the help of my spectacular writers' group, hopefully I will create another piece of work I can be proud of.

Your book is wonderful and I have already gifted a copy to a sweet little girl down the block. She loved it.

Take care.

Mary Metcalfe said...

I fully agree with your observations about criticism. I was very fortunate to have a wonderful critique partner for Winds of Change. Now, I have two editors I work with and am editing as well. Diplomacy 101 and 202 make it pleasurable for all of us!

Cheryl Schenk said...

Diplomacy is always good. Congratulations on your novel Mary. Here's wishing you TONS of success. I'm going to check it out now.