Saturday, August 4, 2012

When You Don't Know, LEARN


I have been lax on this blog for a long time. This is not due to laziness, however, but my continuous quest to become a better writer. Well, maybe a wee bit of laziness.

After attending a writers' conference last summer I realized I had a lot more work to do before tackling a novel. Since that time I have taken a couple of other workshops and I have joined a bi-weekly writers group. Most recently I did an online webinar entitled 'How to Write a Novel' with Joanna Penn from The Creative Penn and Roz Morris from Nail Your Novel, which helped tremendously getting me going on my own novel again.

I've also written several short stories and a couple of humour columns during the past year, and I've had help from my critique group with improving the writing I am doing. Further, as a test of commitment and bravery for myself, I have submitted some work to various short story contests. No success yet, but I am just a beginner so give me time.

I enjoy social media, and the information I've garnered online has been invaluable, but I also found that I was losing too much time to this medium and I've had to limit myself and work at what was and is truly important - WRITING.

Therefore, since April of this year I've spent my time researching and outlining my current work in progress. Though I'm not ready to talk about it too much yet, I will tell you it involves wilderness, wolves and one woman's dream of a better life.

I do hope to pass on bits of information, triumphs and tribulations, as I continue on my way as a writer and hope to hear from all of you as well.

Happy writing.

Cheryl Schenk - self-published children's author - Little Synni's Moonlight Mischief (A Stibil Forest Adventure)

No comments: