Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Twitter - Time Well Spent, to a point:

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. Buddha

It has now been almost six months since my first hesitant steps into the world of Twitter. That initial encounter had me wondering what kind of insanity I had stumbled upon. I had barely wrapped my ripening brain around the concept of Facebook and yet I found myself facing the challenge of making a statement to the masses in 140 characters or less. That of course assuming I could find someone to follow my tweets and I was lucky to have outside help in that department.

Since that first day I have broadened my acceptance of social networking and become somewhat addicted to the phenomena of Twitter. I have acquired some followers, but better still I have began following several pals that have given me much needed support and insight into the world of writing and publishing.

Every morning and each evening, I look forward to signing in and seeing what tidbits have been offered up for my enlightenment and enjoyment. A variety of articles, podcasts and internet connections have given me a wealth of information as well as incentive, tempting me to challenge myself even further. Though I have many favourites, there are some T-pals that, to me, go above and beyond. The information I have gained from their investment of time and energy has been invaluable.

With her array of information and enjoyable interviews, as well as glimpses into her own life as a writer, is Joanna Penn of The Creative Penn. I find her not only personable, but appreciate the fact that she shares her experiences and continually paves the way into the writing world, making life easier for beginners such as I.

Also at the top of my Imperative for Improvement list is Mignon Fogarty, The Grammar Girl. I always strive to improve my writing skills but have never doubted that I can use all the help available, especially with grammar and punctuation, and I imagine that is apparent for anyone reading my blogs. I would never consider publishing a book without professional editing and proof-reading, but I challenge myself to accomplish these tasks on my own when creating my blog pieces, therefore keeping me on my toes and forcing me to be aware of my content. However, I keep a copy of Fogarty’s Grammar Devotional close at hand and try to see the writing as her more experienced eyes might, before pressing the publish button, sending an article out into cyberspace.

I find that by following various publishers, magazines, authors and others, I am kept up to date on new bestsellers, podcasts, E-readers, and book trailers that may be of interest to me.

Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. Buddha

I learned early on in my Twitter experience that if I wanted to make the most of all I was discovering yet still continue to write, I needed to limit my time on Twitter or I would literally spend all my waking hours perusing the input of my T-pals, rendering my own accomplishments to the wind. As that would have been self-defeating, I put the brakes on and have allotted time in my schedule for Twitter, which in turn helps keep me on task with the other commitments in my life.

Now, about that novel I am supposed to be working on. For those of you who read my earlier blog on procrastination I have to admit I have not yet conquered that wall, but I’m working at it.


Cheryl is the author of Little Synni’s Moonlight Mischief, the first book in The Stibil Forest Adventures, illustrations by Chris Jammer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Twitter, it took me a year to come around, but like yourself it has opened the doors to a wealth of knowledge and opportunities. Thanks for the latest blog, always a joy.

Cheryl Schenk said...

Thanks A. I have to be very careful not to become an addict. I would never get anything else done. All things in moderation.